Today Dave “Open Book, Closed Heart” VanVickle and I talk about extraordinary and ordinary means of fighting the devil, which leads (naturally) into a conversation on evangelization and how to lead when you’re not in charge.
Snippet from the Show
“One person can bring about dramatic change at a parish.”
We want to hear from you! Email us at [email protected] with your story, question, or comment—or if you’ve got a new nickname for Dave.
How do you lead when you are not in a leadership position?
- Try to be close friends with the current staff on evangelization teams.
- Try to win the front of “what is the truth” and make sure everyone is on the same page on what they believe.
- Give talks on what the life of catechists and parish workers should look like.
- Encourage the use of Scripture and the new Catechism for formation.
- Give talks on how to have a personal relationship with Jesus in the context of the Catholic Church.
- Offer a talk on the history of the Catholic Church in America since Vatican II.
- Pray for the leaders and with them.
- Work with your priest to prioritize and organize an annual staff retreat.
- Have a “ministry leader summit.”
- If people are refusing or rejecting evangelization, work with your pastor to make sure the appropriate people are in the right positions.
- Go in trying to win souls for Christ, not fight them.
- Remember to always be praying for these people.
- When confrontation has to occur do not do it out of hate for people but in service to people who are missing out on the gospel.
- You need to have the courage to stand up for the truth and gospel when needed.
5 Practical Tips
- Go to NewAdvent.org and search the name of a church father (St. Ignatius of Antioch, St. Athanasius … )
- Pray for the CCD staff (or another staff group) and their openness to the gospel.
- Listen to Mike’s talks on the kerygma at Soundcloud.com/AMDGomer.
- Meet once a week with your pastor and discuss the kerygma.
- Send this podcast to your CCD Staff.
Check out the resources from this episode at ascensionpress.com/everykneeshallbow