Being a Leader in Evangelization
Episode 23 · May 15th, 2019 · 50 mins
About this Episode
We need leaders in the Church. If you want ministries at your parish, that aren’t happening (or aren’t going very well) this may be your que to step up as a leader in evangelization.
In this episode, we talk about how priests, lay employees, and volunteers can be leaders in their own right, and you don’t have to wait for someone to formally empower you to lead others.
We want to hear from you! Email us at [email protected] with your story, question, or comment—or if you’ve got a new nickname for Dave.
Snippet from the Show
“The word ‘leader’ can be intimidating, but the Holy Spirit is the primary agent of evangelization. You’re just the lead follower of the Holy Spirit.”
- The homily needs to be kerygmatic.
- Give a call to action every homily.
- Win your staff.
- Make sure your staff is on board with the mission.
- The parish priests need to be available to the people, especially for sacraments.
- Try to imitate St. John Vianney.
- It is poor form to give a class or workshop on something you are not willing to do.
- Model what you are teaching.
- Set up regular meetings with your parish priest.
- Witness to your fellow employees the same as your parishioners.
- Don’t view working at the church as a chance to make money.
- Continually discern how God is calling you to lead in your parish.
- Don’t grow comfortable with someone as a leader just because they have been doing a good job.
- Help onboard new leaders before they are needed.
- Be a good disciple outside of your volunteer position.
5 Practical Tips
- Priests: Ask yourselves honestly, and ask others “how is your leadership holding back the parish?”
- Kerygma: Explicitly share the gospel with someone.
- Employees: Are you waiting for empowerment or permission to serve the gospel? Identify areas where you can be more active in the kerygma and come up with an action plan to start implementing this.
- Prayer: Prayerfully read Acts 14 and read the kerygma from Paul and Barnabbas.
- Volunteers: Spend more time praying for those people God has placed in your ministry.
Resources from the ShowSupport Every Knee Shall Bow (Your Catholic Evangelization Podcast)